Recognizing outstanding performance
Each year the School presents various awards to outstanding students in collaboration with companies, associations and foundations from the region. In addition to prize money, these awards provide recognition of students’ achievements in their studies.
The recipients are usually chosen on the basis of grades, recommendations by supervisors, or by an awards committee. The School presents the awards during its graduation ceremonies.
- The Dr. Hans Novotny Award from Stiftung Bildung und Kunst is awarded once per semester to the international student with the best overall grade and comes with prize money of 1,000 euros.
- The Jane M. Klausman Women in Business Scholarship of 500 euros is presented once a year and recognizes female Bachelor’s degree graduates with excellent grades.
- The Altdorf Award is presented once a year to the best students in the assessment phase (second semester) and comes with prize money of 200 euros.
- The Dr. Michael Munkert Scholarship is for students who have specialized in taxation, auditing and tax law. Each semester the one-off scholarship of 1500 euros is presented to highly qualified students in recognition on their achievements so far.
- The Luise Prell-Stiftung Award and the Fritz und Maria Hofmann-Stiftung Award each award 500 euros for outstanding Master’s theses. The prizes are awarded to students of a different FAU faculty each time.
Financing your studies through a scholarship
Even though tuition fees are no longer charged in Bavaria, studying can be expensive. Rent, living costs, travel expenses and course materials all cost money. There are many ways for students to finance their studies, such as through part time jobs, BAföG or financial support from their parents. Another possibility is provided by scholarships. The major advantage of scholarships is that, unlike BAföG, the money does not have to paid back after graduation.
Students are able to influence their eligibility when it comes to most application criteria. Factors such as good grades, voluntary work and proof of career goals can have a major influence on the likelihood of being selected for a scholarship.
If you make sure you find the information you need in time – at least six months before the start of a potential scholarship – and know the requirements, you have a good chance of becoming one of the lucky recipients of a valuable scholarship. Over 60 foundations that support students are listed on FAU’s foundations page (German). It is certainly worth taking a look. Information on scholarships is also available from the School’s Career Service (German).
Here is a selection of available scholarships:
FAU’s Germany Scholarship
FAU supports its top students as part of the German government’s Germany Scholarship program. The scholarship supports young talents with 300 euros per month. Students at FAU can apply for a Germany Scholarship once a year.
More information is available on the Germany Scholarship page on the FAU website.
Foundations at FAU
There are many foundations that support education and research at FAU. Some of them aim to specifically support students through scholarships for their studies or for stays abroad.
- Dieter und Erika Schumburg Stiftung offers one-off scholarships of up to 1,500 euros for students who will be spending a stay abroad at one of FAU’s partner universities.
- Dr. Jutta Feldmaier Stiftung supports one-off scholarships to enable students to spend a semester or other period studying abroad, or to participate in summer academies or language courses. Both German and international students may apply.
- Dr. Artur Grün Stiftung also promotes internationalization at FAU by providing scholarships for periods spent studying abroad, summer academies and language courses for German and international students.
- Ilse und Dr. Alexander Mayer-Stiftung awards scholarships to dedicated and gifted students and young researchers at FAU, as well as students in particular financial need (= students who receive BAföG).
Over 60 foundations that support students are listed on FAU’s foundations page (German). It is certainly worth taking a look.
Scholarships for outstanding students
There are a wide range of scholarships available for outstanding students. In addition to requiring applicants to have excellent grades, most scholarship programs have additional conditions regarding cultural, political, religious or social involvement.
More information is available on FAU’s foundations page.